Sorry, but the Senate bill reeks of corporate sponsorship. As a Business Week article put it a while ago, the insurance companies will be sure get their way over the American people. What we really need for reform is:
1. Do what is morally right and make sure everyone gets coverage. Medicaid is a huge waste…how can a public option or expanding Medicare be any worse?
2. Require medical insurance to be non-profit (it has proven successful in Europe)
3. Cap malpractice awards and control legal costs for medical providers…send the baddies to jail and take away their licenses.
4. Lower Medicare to 55+. This will help ease the job market by lowering competition between older and younger workers for jobs with benefits.
5. Send Joe Lieberman packing…he got his $1 million from the insurance companies. No doubt he’ll take a lobbying job with them when he leaves the Senate.
Meanwhile the politics in the Senate around the healthcare bill is an embarrassment. Harry Reid is cutting deals like a used car salesman. It’s hard to respect the behavior on both sides of the aisle. President Obama needs to step up to the plate and clear the pettiness and clutter.
What do you think?